Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Monday 4 June 2012

Sunny Jubilee weather in Lakeland

We've been lucky with the weather for the Jubilee weekend. Yesterday we were so sorry to see all the rain in London, and it was a shame that the fly past had to be cancelled.In Grasmere it was cold but dry. The WI big Sunday lunch was a huge success. The 200 tickets sold out days ahead, and on the door at lunchtime I had to turn away lots of disappointed visitors who had hoped to just turn up and get a ticket on the day.

One gentleman asked if there were any ticket touts about! ( I don't think he was serious) I said ( in my best stern ex teacher's voice) "I'm sorry sir, but I don't think the WI does touting!" The Kendal brass band decided they would rather play in the village hall than in Broadgate Meadow, so the lunch was followed by a rousing Songs of Praise with everyone from the lunch being joined by large numbers of extra visitors who joined in with gusto.

I didn't take any photos, but there were lots of other people with cameras so I hope I'll be able to get some of theirs to post on the Grasmere WI website.

Here's another couple of photos that I've taken this morning in White Moss House garden. We have rooms from tomorrow for the rest of the week. If you'd like to visit, please email me , sue@whitemoss.com, for our best rates.
Diamond Jubilee at White Moss House
The rose is so old that we call it "The Wordsworth Rose" as it dates back to when the Wordsworths owned White Moss House. It has a beautiful scent right now.

This azalea is an amazing colour- a mass of blooms right now.
Today there is a recital in St Oswald's church Grasmere, at 2pm, and the beacon on Silver Howe will be lit at 10.26pm tonight. It will be sad when the Diamond Jubilee celebrations end and life goes back to normal.
BUT WAIT! We've got the Olympic Torch coming on 21 June- another special celebration!
I'll be posting a special two day break offer on the White Moss House website later today for the Olympic Torch Relay day. See you then?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice messages are very welcome.